The University Registrar manages course textbook adoptions.
When to Adopt
The textbook adoption deadline is always the Friday before class registration opens for the term.
Adopting your textbooks on time helps the bookstores identify textbooks that will be purchased during the buyback process. It also gives them enough time to order your textbooks.
At the time of registration, students should have the following textbook information:
- copyright and publication dates
- International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- whether a textbook or supplemental material is required or recommended
Many departments and schools have their own order form. Check with your department or school for an official form.
The rising cost of textbooks is a significant challenge for students and their families. Your sensitivity to the cost of materials is appreciated.
Here are ways you can help:
- Know the price of the textbooks you select
- Make timely decisions so students can compare purchase options (students should have a list of textbooks by advance registration time)
- Investigate lower-cost options such as unbundled texts, electronic versions, and on-line resources
- Consider using the same textbook in all sections of a course
- Compare content changes between editions and keep older editions when appropriate
The University Textbook Policy states the textbook list is public knowledge and Illinois State may not enter into an exclusive contract for textbook sales with any one store.
The Textbook Affordability Committee meets regularly helps coordinate undergraduate curriculum.
- Departmental Textbook Listing
- Full Textbook Listing CSV
- Spring 2024 Textbooks
- Class Enrollment Numbers
- Textbook List Changes from Last Update
- Daily Update Textbook List Changes