Skip to main content
Student meets with an advisor.

Transfer Credit

Whether you're a transfer student or a current student taking courses at another college or university, you can apply credit to Illinois State. View the full Transfer Policy

Send Your Transcript to Illinois State

Transferring Credit from Other Schools

Transfer credit is applied after you are admitted to Illinois State. Transfer credit from community colleges is limited to 70 semester hours; credit from four-year colleges and universities is limited to 90 semester hours. For more details about Transfer Credit view the Transfer of Credit policy.

Illinois Community Colleges

Our articulation agreements with Illinois community colleges help you see what programs and courses will transfer to Illinois State.

Illinois State participates in the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) to facilitate transfer from one Illinois institution to another. Visit for more information on the general education package.

Other Colleges and Universities

If you are taking courses at a four year college or an out-of-state college and want to know how it will transfer, visit If you are a current student with questions about transfer credits, please send an email to along with the following:

  • First and last name
  • Your UID
  • Transfer school name
  • Course abbreviation, number, and title
  • Specific major/minor/graduation/general education requirement you are attempting to complete

Additional Forms of Credit

Credit can also be applied from a variety of exams and programs.

  • Advanced Placement Credit:

    View which AP classes and scores count towards credit

  • College Level Examination Program:

    Read our policy on granting credit toward general education requirements

  • International Baccalaureate Credit:

    See what exams and scores transfer to course credit

  • Undergraduate Proficiency Examination:

    Most 100 and 200-level courses offer exams that allow to test out of courses and enroll in more advanced classes. Learn more

  • Military Credit:

    View the criteria for having your military credit transfer to Illinois State

  • State Seal of Biliteracy:

    According to the Illinois State Board of Education, the State Seal of Biliteracy "recognizes public high school graduates who have attained a high level of proficiency in one or more languages in addition to English." Illinois State University accepts the State Seal of Biliteracy from any state as equivalent to two semesters (8 credits) of language study (LAN 111-112) in languages offered at the University. If the seal is granted in a language not offered at Illinois State University, eight credit hours of lower division foreign language will be awarded. Students must request course credit for their seal within three academic years after graduating from high school. No credit will be awarded for the State Commendation toward Biliteracy, though students with the commendation are encouraged to determine their level through self-placement exams and/or proficiency exams (refer to the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures (LAN) website). Students with the Seal of Biliteracy may also be eligible for higher level of credit, which can be earned through taking a course (see self-placement exams) or a proficiency exam (refer to the LAN website).

Reverse Transfer Process

Illinois State University participates in the State of Illinois Reverse Transfer of Credit initiative which helps students who have enrolled at an Illinois community college to complete an associate degree. When a current Illinois State student meets the requirements outlined below, the Office of the University Registrar will contact the student to inform them about reverse transfer.

  • Transferred to Illinois State University from, or previously attended, an Illinois community college;
  • Earned at least 15 credit hours of transferrable course work completed at an Illinois community college; and
  • Earned a cumulative total of at least 60 credit hours for transferrable course work successfully completed at Illinois State University or any previously attended postsecondary institution. The 60 hours could include credit from one or more schools, both in-state and out-of- state, and/or from AP, CLEP, IB or the Seal of Biliteracy.

In the fall and spring semesters, the Registrar’s Office will identify and inform qualifying current students of the reverse transfer option; students can choose to opt in or opt out. If they opt in, students indicate their Illinois Community College of choice and provide a signature releasing their academic record and/or transcript to that college. Illinois State University will send an official record to the school of choice. The community college will determine if they have met the AA/AS degree requirement.